What Is Stoicism? is a combination of original content and the best curated resources from around the web to help you benefit from adopting Stoicism as your philosophy of life.
The motivation for this site comes from my own adoption of Stoicism as a guiding philosophy, and my desire to learn more about it. The Stoic philosopher Seneca wrote, “While we teach, we learn.” So the more useful information I can provide for others, the more informed I become myself.
Although Stoicism is a two thousand year old philosophy, it has enjoyed somewhat of a resurgence in recent times thanks to content from the likes of Tim Ferriss, Ryan Holiday, Massimo Pigliucci and Donald Robertson.
Stoicism remains relevant today because its principles are practical, easy to understand, and can be applied to modern life.
The Stoic principles are geared toward achieving benefits such as:
- Building resilience by occasionally practising voluntary hardship and self-denial
- Reducing anxiety by anticipating the bad things that could happen to us
- Saving money by caring less about what we don’t have and caring more about what we do
- Saving time by focusing only on what is within our control
- Improving relationships by helping others
- Making the most of our lives by remembering we could die at any time
Where Do I Start?
If you’re new to Stoicism, this page will give you the introduction you need. There you’ll find out what the philosophy is and how it began.
Next (even if you aren’t new to the philosophy), you can sign up for this free five-part series on adding Stoicism to your daily routine so you can reap the benefits described above.
Beyond that, check out the following resources that will give you everything you need to continue on your Stoic journey:
- Stoicism Resources page – websites, courses, podcasts, and videos providing a range of Stoic content
- The Best Stoicism Books – an extensive list of both introductory and advanced books on Stoicism
- How To Keep A Stoic Journal – instructions on how to implement one of the most valuable Stoic practices
How Do I Stay Updated?
The resources provided above will get you up-to-speed on the fundamentals of Stoicism, while the regularly-published blog posts explore how the principles of the philosophy can be related to situations in our daily lives.
You can stay up-to-date (and interact) in the following ways: