Welcome to What Is Stoicism!
Hi, my name is Allan and it’s my aim to help you (and me!) apply ancient Stoic wisdom to modern life each day so that you can learn from the past (but let it go), plan for the future (but not obsess), and most importantly, live in the present.
If you’re looking for somewhere to start, you can grab my free 13-day series that features Stoic daily routine tips plus some of my best downloadable guides by dropping your email in below. 👇
Latest What Is Stoicism? blog posts:
- Being Stoic is a Refined Kind of SelfishnessIf you’re anything like me, socializing can sometimes feel like the last thing you want to do. Maybe yesterday was littered with frustrating interactions or […]
- Mastering the Past and Future So They Don’t Master YouThe Courage to be Disliked is a self-help book by Japanese writers Ichiro Kishimi and Fumitake Koga that takes the form of a fictitious conversation […]
- Here’s Why a Dog is a True PhilosopherOne of the few social media accounts I check every day is that of Niall Harbison (Instagram / Twitter / Substack). Originally from Ireland, Niall […]
- Stoic Protection From the Dangers of DesireDesire has a reliable way of making us view our lives through the lens of what we don’t have. This lens obscures from our sight […]
- What Is Stoic Apatheia?This short explainer will provide you with a straightforward understanding of what the state of apatheia is in relation to Stoicism and how you can […]
- How a Stoic Becomes a SaintBecoming a Saint If you’re familiar with the work of Kurt Vonnegut, you’ll know he had a wonderful knack for crafting beauty out of very simple […]
- How to Count Each Day as a Separate LifeBegin at once to live, and count each day as a separate life. These are Seneca’s words from his 101st letter to his friend Lucilius. […]
- What Is Stoic Oikeiôsis?This short explainer will provide you with a straightforward understanding of what oikeiôsis is and how you can use it to guide your Stoic practice. […]